The Hutchins School Parents’ Association is committed to supporting and representing the parents and carers of the School.
We work together to enhance the Hutchins community and provide meaningful connections between parents, carers, staff and Old Boys. We aim to facilitate and develop relationships that will help to advance and support the mission of The Hutchins School.
We welcome and encourage all parents and carers to actively get involved in our activities through attending events, raising funds and supporting the various projects and programs provided by the Association and the School.
Most importantly we are a supportive and inclusive Association that reflects the diversity of our parents, providing us all with the opportunity to build life-long networks and friendships.
The Hutchins School Parents’ Association aims to:
- Facilitate the flow of information between families and the School
- Provide valuable educational opportunities for parents and carers through Parents’ Association forums, groups and activities
- Create opportunities to build personal supportive networks
- Enhance school equipment and resources through the facilitation of fundraising events
- Offer volunteer opportunities that acknowledge the talents, energy and time of parents and carers
If you are interested in joining the Parents’ Association, becoming a Year Group Representative or volunteering on an event sub-committee please email us.
Meeting dates 2020
Parents are welcome to attend Committee Meetings. If you would like to find out more about our meetings please email the President. Meeting dates for 2020 are:
- Tuesday 11 February, Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 17 March (AGM followed by a general meeting), Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 5 May, Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 16 June, Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 21 July, Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 11 August, Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 22 September, Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 27 October (Fair meeting), Board Room, 6.30pm
- Tuesday 10 November, Board Room, 6.30pm
Community Hub Afternoon Tea dates 2020
- Wednesday 20 May, Global Classroom, 2.00pm
- Wednesday 16 September, Global Classroom, 2.00pm
- Monday 2 November, Global Classroom, 2.00pm
Blokes and Spokes Bike Ride 2020
- Sunday 1 March – Cornelian Bay
The Hutchins School Fair
The Association is comprised of an Executive, Committee and General Members. The Executive and Committee Members are elected at the Annual General Meeting, held in March every year. In 2019, the following Members were elected:
- Alli McShane (President)
- Dayana Baker (Vice President)
- Krysta Brocklehurst (Secretary)
- Claire McQuillen (Treasurer)
- Georgia Burbury
- Jo Bourne
- Jane Yarham
- Anthony Gunton
- Lou Christie
- Anna Yard-Cumming
- Sarah Rowley
- Patrice Lawrence
Year Group Representative Program
The Year Group Representative Program has been facilitated by the Parents’ Association for the past five years, with the support of the School.
Ideally, each year group will have a minimum of two representatives to work together. Representatives do not need to be from different classes as a whole-of-year approach is encouraged.
Year Group Representative Program
The role of a Year Group Representative is to:
- welcome new families;
- foster positive community relationships within the year group and school;
- co-ordinate social events for students and parents/carers throughout the year (ideally one event per term);
- be a contact person for families and teachers within the year group and provide a liaison role;
- participate in Parents’ Association meetings where possible, assist with related events, encourage other parents/carers to become involved with the Parents’ Association;
- provide a helping hand for various school activities; and
- collate and maintain an email contact list and provide it to future representatives.
- Representatives should co-ordinate social events for students and parents/carers in consultation with other representatives from their year group.
- Ideally, representatives should co-ordinate one event per term with a minimum of two weeks’ notice.
- Email notifications of social events should include the Year Group Representative co-ordinator. To demonstrate that the Program is sanctioned by The Hutchins School, the co-ordinator will advise relevant Heads of Schools of upcoming events.
- To ensure all families receive information from year group representatives, it is expected that communication will primarily be through email.
- Please add email addresses to the Bcc option to keep email addresses private.
- Representatives should be mindful that not all parents/carers want to use Facebook and this should only be a back-up form of communication.
Year Group Representative Co-ordinator
A Parents’ Association member will perform the role of Year Group Representative Co-ordinator.
The role of the Year Group Representative Co-ordinator is to:
- at the commencement of each year, provide families with information on the Year Group Representative Program and request nominations for year group representatives;
- arrange an informal meeting for representatives to discuss the Program and share ideas about the role;
- keep representatives informed of Parents’ Association activities and encourage participation in meetings and events;
- provide support to representatives and co-ordinate issues that need the input of the Parents’ Association or school;
- be a contact person for all families in relation to the Program;
- liaise with head teachers and heads of schools about the Program; and
- review, annually, the Program with input from representatives, Parents’ Association and school.
Contributions to the School
Each year the Parents’ Association raises funds through key community and social events as well as an annual membership fee. These funds are in turn used to support a variety of projects and programs around the School.
In addition to these key purchases the Association also sponsors the Headmaster Seminar Series. These events feature key note speakers who present on topics of interest to the School community.