The Junior School is for boys from Year 3 to Year 6. It is a welcoming, vibrant place with clear behavioural expectations, providing a reference point for boys as they develop further on their pathways to becoming good men.
- A continued emphasis on basic numeracy and literacy skills.
- Building character, confidence and independence – encouraging boys to be responsible and accountable for their actions and choices and to be resilient.
- Learning to be active, contributing, caring and compassionate citizens knowing that what they do matters in terms of people and their environment locally and globally.
- Learning to be critical and independent thinkers with inquiry learning at the core of all learning experiences.
- Differentiated learning because every student learns differently and at different rates and has different levels of understanding.
- Providing a wide, varied, exciting and challenging curriculum so that all students can cultivate a lifelong love of learning.
Classroom teachers teach the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science, History and Geography. There are specialist teachers in the areas of Physical Education, Library, RAVE (Religious and Values Education), Music, Art, French (as well as Chinese in Year 5 and 6), Design and Technology and Drama (Year 6). The curriculum is based on the Australian Curriculum.
Co-curricular activities include dance, debating, winter and summer competitive team sports, choir, orchestra and individual instrumental lessons (tuition fees apply).
- Chapel for boys from Years 3 to 6 once a week.
- Massed Singing for all boys two mornings a week.
- Get Active program led by Year 6 boys three mornings a week.
- Pride Choir (100 boys from Years 3 to 6).
- Outdoor Education camping program from Years 3 to 6.
- Continuation of support programs and Gifted and Talented programs (including subject acceleration).
- Continued links with our co-operating girls’ schools, Fahan School and St Michael’s Collegiate, for social and learning opportunities.
- Sport lessons are timetabled once a week. Summer sports are offered in Terms 1 and 2 and include bushwalking, t-ball/softball, modified cricket, touch rugby and triathlon training. An introduction to rowing is also offered in Year 6. Winter sports are offered in Terms 2 and 3 and include Australian Rules Football (modified rules), basketball, soccer, table tennis, hockey, half-field hockey, cross country and waterpolo. It is compulsory for students in Years 5 and 6 to represent the School in rostered competitions during the winter sport program.
- Continuation of the Social and Emotional Wellbeing Program (Bounce Back).
- Year 6 Leadership Program based on the understanding that all Year 6 boys are leaders. All boys participate in the Leadership Camp at the beginning of the year. All boys lead the Junior School in the Get Active Program. There are also committees where boys have leadership portfolios in the areas of JAFFA/Chapel, Charity, Environment, SRC and Houses.
- Homework ‘THIS MATTERS Challenge’ that involves the boys participating in self-directed homework challenges in the areas of Giving, Service in School and Community, Physical Activity and the Outdoors, Academic Excellence, and Excellence in the Arts. A certificate to acknowledge completion of the year’s ‘THIS MATTERS’ Challenge is awarded.