The Hutchins Sport program offers students a wide range of sports to choose from, combined with carnivals, sports days and inter-House competitions.
Sport is an integral part of the holistic education at The Hutchins School. The reasons for playing sport in a school are many and varied. Sport is only one avenue whereby a student can gain a range of skills. The expectation that boys put commitment to the School first derives from the clear value to their personal and educational growth of building collegiality among the boys.
Students are encouraged to participate at a level that they are comfortable with, whilst challenging their fitness and building their skills. Sportsmanship and fair play are paramount. Hutchins is regularly represented and recognised at state, national and international levels across various sports.
Important: Due to COVID-19, many sports will have a modified/reduced season in Term 3. We will not be publishing the Term 3 sport handbook to this page and instead, we will be sending it to parents/carers directly. The Term 4 handbook will be available on this page towards the end of Term 3.
Rationale for Sport at Hutchins is to enable students to:
- represent the School as an individual or as a member of a team
- have fun
- experience a variety of activities
- gain an insight into their abilities in other activities, outside the classroom curriculum
- gain new friendships
- experience pride in their school
- bring the benefits of co-curricular success into their classroom learning
- experience the concept of winning and losing
- take on leadership roles
- take on the pastoral care of younger students in coaching
- foster the relationship between staff and students
- give to the School community, the benefits of their skill
- develop lifelong recreational skills
- develop a tolerance of others
- foster a healthy lifestyle
- experience the educational parameters of coaching, including fair play, playing to the spirit as well as the letter of the law
- exhibit sportsmanship
- further develop fine motor skills
- show courage on the sports field
- gain an insight into their character
- gain an understanding and appreciation of game skills and strategies
- strive for excellence