Duke of Edinburgh's International Award
The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is the most recognised and utilised youth development program in Australia. The aim of the program is to motivate youth to become involved in a balanced program of self-development activities. The Award is conducted at The Hutchins School and students in Year 9 and above (aged 14 and over) are able to join.
The Award is a non-competitive program involving community service and adventure based activities of a practical and physical nature. These activities provide opportunities for the student to acquire and develop skills, initiative and self esteem. Achievement in The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award, especially the Silver and Gold Awards, has been recognised by many employers when choosing applicants for employment.
There are three Award Levels - Bronze, Silver and Gold with the requirements of each level becoming progressively more demanding. There are four key aspects of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award (Community Service, Skill, Physical Recreation and Adventurous Journey) and there is a requirement and expectation that these activities are developed outside of school time.
Through the process of completing an award, participants should develop:
- self-belief and self-confidence
- an independent and self-motivating attitude
- a sense of responsibility to others and a connection to the community
- life skills – negotiation, research, communication, problem solving and presentation skills
- new friendships and relationships with their peers and older people
- employability skills – teamwork, initiative, enterprise, planning, self-management and technology skills
A one-off fee applies prior to the commencement of the Award and for each subsequent level. This fee covers registration, management of the official Record Book, certificates and insurance.
For further information on the Award, visit the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award website or contact Mr Mark Oates, Teacher of Outdoor Education on 03 6221 4279.