Character Unbound: A History of The Hutchins School
In July 2005 Hutchins Archivist Margaret Mason-Cox was commissioned to write the 3rd history of The Hutchins School.
The first history, The Official History of The Hutchins School, was written by Basil W Rait and published in 1935. The second history, The Hutchins School Macquarie Street Years 1846–1965, was written by Dr Geoffrey H Stephens and published in 1979.
Margaret Mason-Cox’s instruction in 2005 was that the period of history to be covered was from 1966-1996. Margaret accepted, and in consultation with a Working Party consisting of Principal Bill Toppin, Then-Board Chairman Nick Heath, Hobart City Council Heritage Officer Brendan Lennard, and School Archivist John Ancher, works began.
The first draft of the manuscript was completed for review in August 2008. It was then decided that the history should also include ‘the Toppin years’ and the deadline was accordingly extended.
By February 2011 Margaret Mason-Cox had been formally commissioned to prepare the final draft on the Toppin years (1997-2007), and that chapter was completed and delivered in August 2011. On 1 November 2012 the completed manuscript, with images, was handed over to the Headmaster for projected publishing in 2013.
Funding for publication has been provided in a joint venture by The Hutchins School Foundation and The Hutchins School and to the delight of all we launched Character Unbound: A History of The Hutchins School in the presence of the Board, Foundation, the Hutchins School Old Boys’ Association, Parents’ Association, Headmaster, Staff and friends of The Hutchins School on Thursday 19 September 2013.
This history is not simply a chronicle of the past. Margaret’s account embodies and reflects the culture of The Hutchins School; it acknowledges our respect and mindfulness of the past, yet it invites the reader to look to the future and contemplate that which has been learned from a rich past.
It was fitting that Character Unbound: A History of The Hutchins School was officially launched to our community by Old Boy, journalist and author, Tim Bowden.
To order your copy of this beautifully written, designed and illustrated history of our School, place an order online or phone 6221 4200. Copies can also be purchased from Reception.