China trip 2018
Thursday, 3 May 2018
From the 5th to 23rd April 2018, seventeen Year 10/11 students and three staff members visited China on our biennial language and culture immersion tour. Over the two weeks, students had the amazing opportunity to practice their Chinese and immerse in the Chinese culture and way of life on a daily basis. The tour was our fifth China exchange and the first Tasmanian school visit to Xian since the signing of Hobart-Xian sister city relationship in 2015.
Below is a list of some of the amazing activities boys undertook in China.
- Trekking on the Great Wall and staying in a village underneath the Wall
- Visiting iconic places of interest including the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven and Terracotta Warriors
- Visiting sister schools and attending lessons with local buddies
- Learning Han Dynasty (206 BC to 220 AD) etiquette in the historic capital of Xian
- Dumpling cooking and tea ceremony in a tradition Peking courtyard
- Visiting the Australian Embassy and communicating with diplomats
- Homestay with Chinese families
- Experiencing night life in a booming Asian city such as the memorable karaoke night
- Visiting numerous markets and haggling in Chinese
- Experiencing various exotic food such as Peking duck, hot pot, noodles, congees, and all the fancy snacks and bubble tea
All the boys are to be commended for their impressive linguistic competence and exemplary cultural ambassadorship. They have returned home with a much deeper understanding of China as well as the diversities and opportunities China presents. We thank our Chinese sister schools and partners for such a culturally enriching experience, and look forward to reciprocating their hospitality on their return visit next year.