The next yellow jersey wearer? Hutchins student awarded TIS Scholarship
Friday, 10 May 2013
Year 11 student Gerald Evans has been awarded a Tasmanian Institute of Sport (TIS) Cycling Scholarship. There are only eight current male scholarship holders in Tasmania; with scholarships generally reserved for senior, elite and world class cyclists. What makes Gerald’s feat more impressive, is that five out of the eight scholarship holders race at ‘World Tour’ level (racing in the Tour de France), including Hutchins Old Boy Cameron Wurf (’01) and one of the world’s best road sprinters Matthew Goss (Northern Tasmania). Gerald will be the youngest male scholarship holder by about three years.
The program provides access to coaching, equipment, sports science support, athlete career & education services, training camps and national and international competition.
Gerald’s other achievements include:
- 2013 – two placements in the top ten, Australian Track Nationals, U19
- 2012 – Canberra Tour Road Race, U17, sixth
- 2012 – three x placements in the top ten, U17 Road Nationals
- 2012 – seventh, U19 Oceania Track Points Race
- 2012 – two times State Champion