Council of International Schools
As an educational community we are constantly looking at opportunities to improve the quality of our offerings. The Hutchins School is pleased to announce that we are now an accredited member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), an elite group of highly regarded global schools.
CIS is a non-profit membership organisation that provides services to primary and secondary schools and higher institutions around the world. Membership extends to approximately 660 full member schools in 109 countries and to 475 member universities and colleges.
Member schools have the following in common:
- a desire to provide students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to pursue their lives as global citizens
- a commitment to high quality education
- vision driven, mission led with a focus on international-mindedness
To achieve these goals member schools adopt an international and inter-cultural perspective in their curriculum so that teachers and students engage with a global world and have attitudes and understandings that they will take with them wherever their work lives or studies may lead.
To gain accreditation Hutchins completed:
- a self-study reflecting on our practice
- a team visit from CIS to evaluate our self-study
- the decision on accreditation
- the scaffold for our next Strategic Plan
During the accreditation stage, the School analysed its organisation's climate and achievement data, viewed its current practice in light of its own mission and values, rated its degree of alignment with the accreditation standards and created plans to improve upon areas of alignment. In the self-study period several sub-committees were formed from both teaching and non-teaching staff as well as Old Boys, Board Members and parents.
CIS membership advantages include that:
- the evaluation and accreditation process is a flexible, yet rigorous, vehicle for school improvement
- it illustrates that we as a school are devoted to our mission, vision for students and "do what we say we will do"
- the School is student-oriented. Its philosophy of education is suitable for all students and encompasses the development of the whole individual to be an informed, active and caring participant in the global community
- the process leads to highly valued international recognition of the School for its world class curriculum and student outcomes
- the emphasis is heavily focused on student learning and student well-being
- the School is committed to internationalism and inter-culturalism to foster global citizenship
- families have reassurance as to the quality of education available
- students, teachers and families gain an internationally minded approach to education
- the evaluation and accreditation process provides a continual plan for improvement
- it ensures that we as a school have a plan for the future and that we are constantly seeking to improve our performance in all areas
It must be noted that CIS does not seek to impose one standard model of one school upon another. The underlying principle of the process is that a school will be evaluated in terms of its own Guiding Statements contained in its vision, mission and values.
The Hutchins School is due to undergo re-accreditation in 2019.