Early Learning Centre
The Hutchins School Early Learning Centre (ELC) provides a stimulating, nurturing and vibrant environment for boys from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 2. The first steps are taken towards ensuring boys grow into young men of good character.
The early years are the most vital in a child’s educational life. During this time children are entering a social world stretching beyond the family. They are trying to establish themselves as members of a peer group community. It is during this period too that they acquire the foundation skills for future learning. They form crucial attitudes in learning and to themselves as learners. By the end of these early years of education children will have reached some important decisions about their own abilities and own worth. This places a special responsibility on teachers of young children to provide a warm, supportive but challenging environment.
Additional information for parents of 3 and 4 year old boys can be found in the Kindergarten Handbook, 2016.
- Children learn when they are having fun, experience success, feel secure and have a sense of belonging.
- Curiosity, wonder and imagination are encouraged and developed through creativity and child centred, play based, hands on learning.
- Children connect and contribute to their world through inquiry and discovery. Thinking is at the centre of all inquiry.
- Children have authentic opportunities in a range of curriculum areas to develop their thinking and problem solving skills. They are actively involved in gathering and processing information using all of their senses.
- Children learn to be socially responsible and show respect for others and their environment.
- Children take learning risks to develop their social, emotional and physical wellbeing. They are supported in developing skills of independence, resilience and perseverance.
- Children participate in the digital world positively and productively.
The class teacher takes all of the core subject areas including, English, Mathematics, Science, History, Geography and Art. Specialist teachers are provided for Music, French, Physical Education, Library and RAVE (Religious and Values Education). Provision is made for EALD (English as an Additional Language or Dialect) support and there are targeted support and Gifted and Talented programs from Prep to Year 2. Curriculum in the Early Learning Centre is based on the Early Years Learning Framework for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten year groups (with a Reggio Emilia approach where relevant) and the Australian Curriculum for Prep (Foundation) to Year 2.
Class sizes are 20 students maximum for Pre-Kindergarten or mixed Pre-Kindergarten/Kindergarten classes and 24 students maximum for Kindergarten, Prep, Year 1 and Year 2 classes.
Co-curricular activities for the Early Learning Centre boys include dance, music and winter sport (Year 2 upwards) and individual instrumental lessons (tuition fees apply).
- Award winning purpose built classrooms.
- An onsite Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) facility for boys from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 6.
- A Social and Emotional Wellbeing Program (Bounce Back) from Pre-Kindergarten to Year 6.
- A separate play area – with phased in participation with older boys (Years 1 and 2).
- Whole school participation for certain events (e.g. House Assembly).
- Informal buddy system with Junior and Senior School boys.
- An introduction to the Outdoor Education Program with a day at Southport for our Year 2 boys.
- Chapel for Pre-Kindergarten to Year 2 once a week.
- Early Learning Centre Assembly once a fortnight for boys and parents.
- Early Learning Centre and Junior School combined Assembly every alternate fortnight for boys and parents.
- Links with our co-operating girls' schools, Fahan School and St Michael’s Collegiate, for combined social/learning opportunities.
- All Year 2 boys also participate in the winter sport program (Terms 2 and 3) and have the opportunity if they wish to play a sport for the School on a Saturday (e.g. soccer and hockey).